Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Another Season Over

As I sit and look out the window over the Muskoka landscape at the last few leaves of autumn that are still hanging on I reflect back on a busy and excellent canoeing season.  This year I managed to get six trips under my belt which was no small feat with trying to juggle work and family commitments.  Needless to say, most of my days off up until the end of August were spent out traversing Algonquin.

This year saw a number of firsts.  It was my first solo trip in eleven years, my first trip with my wife in seven years and my youngest son's first trip ever!

The weather was good on all but one trip and the bugs were few or non-existent, even in the thick of bug season.  The company was good as always and the fishing was lousy as always.

Over the past year I have been working on a dream of mine since I was in high school, a 5-6 month canoe trip through Algonquin, from ice-out in the spring until Thanksgiving.  This is currently a work in progress and is not planned to be undertaken until at least 2025 during retirement.  When the opportunity arises I will post the current edition of my trip itinerary in Word and PDF and as always will welcome and feedback.

Now I sit here with my coffee thinking of trips past and future (I'm already starting to plan for next years trips).  Over the course of the next several months I will start to transcribe and post the logs from this past season's adventures.  I will also continue to work on my Web site,  Algonquin Voyageur, www.algonquinvoyageur.com which is a slow work in progress.  I'm also going to try and put together a list of all the lakes, rivers, creeks, etc. that I have visited on my journeys through the Park.  Until then may the sun always be in your face and the wind at your back.

No comments:

Post a Comment